Dollhouse Miniatures Magazine Feature

Hi everyone, a little update while I work on my next blog post.  I just received my copy of the Dollhouse Miniatures magazine in the mail and I'm excited to share my 2017 Creatin Contest entry, the Belmont dollhouse, has been featured!   I'm so humbled to be included alongside some other incredibly talented miniaturists in this issue.

Construction Continued

A little update on the dollhouse for you this weekend.  It's been slow going because I (as usual) decided to re-cut everything to get the design right.  (And I mean every single piece!)  The house is a little wider now by about 3 inches to better fit the interior stairway and I replaced all the thinner mdf with 1/4 inch.

The front porch and the chimney are new exterior additions.  I'm almost tempted to put in another dormer on the third floor but I don't know exactly where it would go with the exterior design.

Construction Begins!

The dry fit phase has begun!  Over the last two weeks, I've been cutting and assembling my MDF walls and cardboard window templates.  This has been a two-part process with an initial dry-fit to get the overall structural support design finalized and the second to add additional revisions and interior wall openings.

Dollhouse Laser Cut Fronts Done

The house fronts are done!  It felt great to move on from cardboard to wood assembly. I also managed to cut some window prototypes from cardboard too.   The material selection was a bit of an unexpected turn but I'm pleased with how these pieces came together.  Read on to learn how it all came together and what I've been up to these last couple of weeks!

Dollhouse Cardboard Prototype Complete

A few weeks later and the majority of the structural design has been completed. I still need to get the roof right, but otherwise, the overall look and structural components are finished.  I knew it was going to be large, but I was still surprised at the size!  Today I've included some photos of my design progression and a size comparison of this house with my other two dollhouses.

Miniature Faux Stone Veneer Tutorial

Looking to add some style and texture to your modern dollhouse?  Stone veneer and siding is a great alternative to miniature bricks and still gives you lots of options for colour and application.  It can be used in both your interior and exterior while covering any little dollhouse cracks and joining points.  Best of all it's quick and easy to cut and paint.  So put those egg cartons aside for another project and get your hands on a sheet of cork!

Belmont Dollhouse Announcement!

I'm thrilled to announce the Belmont house placed 3rd in the 2017 HBS Creatin Contest!  I'm so honoured! I want to thank every one again for all your encouragement and kind words the last couple of weeks.  You all have been the best!!  And a big thank you to HBS miniatures! I was just amazed at all the entries and honestly don't know how the judges decided.  Personally I thought some of the honourable mentions could have won the grand prize!  I've been so eager to see who won the other top spots, and they did not disappoint!